Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The First Post

Welcome to my little corner of the blogosphere. Yes, I know its a dumb phrase, but that's what makes it cool. And I know spheres don't have corners.

Anyway, I'm probably going to look into getting this blog to publish itself to my webcomic, Desperado Coyote. It used to be about this guy who gets abducted by aliens as a sacrifice to their evil overlord, who he then assassinates, allowing him and those aliens (and their cute living starship) to become intergalactic bounty hunters. After not doing that for two years, I finally decided to use the space to host my new reality sprite comic, The Virtual Life. Its about six recolored video game sprites forced to coexist under one roof and the hilarity that ensues. Basically, just like any random sprite comic, but with confessionals!

As for me, my interest includes internet message boards, webcomics, anime (as long as I don't have to pay for it, except maybe Excel Saga), and video games. Recently, I've been getting into MegaMan. I'm up to the sixth game in the Anniversary Collection for the GameCube and I'm also playing MegaMan Battle Network 4: Blue Moon version on the GBA. I also catch MegaMan Axess whenever I can.

You may not know this, but when I think some show or something is cool, I make a character for it. As such, I made up a Net Navi/Robot Master for MegaMan who I call Alienman. Actually, I made up Alienman years ago for a contest published in Nintendo Power, but he didn't even get an honorable mention. I think Knightman won that contest. That's right. Alienman could've gotten into MegaMan 6. I'm guessing he lost because I didn't color him in or because his weapon didn't do anything special, because it sure wasn't for being a poorly-drawn mass of tentacles. If you've seen magazine art contests that allow children to enter, then you probably know what I'm talking about. But now I'm redesigning him to be a grey with a UFO attack. Cheesey, I know, but that sort of thing can be cool, or at least funny. Too bad he won't ever been in an official game. No thanks to me, at least.

Incidently, I was going to enter an alien spirit for that Shaman King contest a year or so ago, but it turned out I was too old to qualify (I'll be 24 this May). His medium would be a squirt gun, and use of spirit control would transform it into a laser gun with sniper rifle and rail gun functions. I think there was also going to be cloaking and holograms and stuff. Now, however, I think it should've been a frisbee that becomes a UFO. Ah, well. The drawing kinda sucked anyway. And it wasn't in color.

But I don't know if lack of color would've been an issue with Fox Kids/Fox Box/4KidsTV/whatever. I remember a similar contest they had with Fighting Foodons. I couldn't even see some of the line-drawing Foodons that they displayed on television. I don't think my Angel-Haired Pasta Foodon won, even though I'm a pretty decent artist. Maybe I was already too old, or maybe I just didn't see it. Or maybe I'm just too in the middle for them. I shouldn't sass children's art styles (you should see some of my work from elementary school), but did you see some of those? Some were good, but I swear some were made with finger paint.

I think the people who do those contests try to pick from two extremes: Really crappy and really good. Now, you've got to show the really good ones. Those deserve to be seen. They're just that good. Forget the fridge, put some frames on those mothers! The really crappy, on the other hand, are probably just there to make the crappy artists feel better. You know, like the trophies you get at some events for just participating. Like the special olympics. I understand and all. For all they know, those kids put their heart and soul to make art only slightly better than a pile of crap. But what if it's not a matter of skill? What if they just didn't care in the first place? Well, I guess it would still be nice to be on display, but it's just so irritating to lose to drawings like that. It's like being told that my drawing is somehow worse than those. Maybe next time I enter one of those contests (if I can), I'll wear a blindfold when I draw, because there's no way I'm going to be able to beat the really good drawings. Six wallet-sized and two portraits, please!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home